Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

DIY: Sake Bottle Planter

Hi All! I thought I would share a simple project that I did for a friend over the weekend.  You can do this simple DIY project in less than 30 minutes. 

I went out to dinner with my in-laws and hubby at a fabulous Japanese fusion restaurant a couple months ago.  Of course, Japanese cuisine would not be complete with out sake.  When they delivered the frosted pink bottle to the table, my mother-in-law commented on how pretty it was - too pretty to leave at the table to ultimately end up in the trash.



I just love everything about this bottle - the cotton-candy-pink color, shape, and particularly, the artistic label. We just had to order a second bottle for each of us to take home.  I thought it would make the perfect flower vase on a bedside table.  I made one for my friend Lauren, and she liked it so much, she asked me to make another!  Check out the end result...



This planter couldn't be simpler.  I started with a fuchsia Phalaenopsis orchid stem which I purchased from Michael's for about $9.99.  Using heaving duty wire clippers from hubby's collection, I clipped a few inches from the orchid stem to achieve the desired height.  I attached the orchid stem to a bamboo reed using some floral wire.  You can trim the top of the bamboo reed so it extends a couple inches beyond the top of the orchid.  

One simple trick to adding some detail to a store-bought arrangement is to secure a touch of high-quality moss to the stem using some raffia.  You can tie it to make a simple loop, or leave the edges frayed for a casual look.  Secure the moss to the stem with a touch of hot glue.   

I completed to the look with a simple stem of curly willow, and voila! A simple Sake bottle planter. 


Hope you like!



No comments:

Post a Comment