Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Luca's Updated Book Shelf

November and December always seem to fly by.  If you have been following my blog, you may have noticed it has been a little light on the DIY.  I neglected to post my latest revamp.  It was a small project, but a MUCH needed upgrade.

I have been in the process of slowly cleaning out the unnecessary clutter in preparation for the new year.  Each time I think of throwing something away or passing it off to Goodwill, I ask myself the following questions:


Why am I getting rid of this item?
Will I need this in the future?
Can I update the item, and put it to use now?


If the answers to questions 2 and 3 are NO, it's off to the donation pile.  But one should never underestimate the transforming power of paint.

Meet my subject.

Blaahhhh

I purchased this bookshelf from Target for Mateo's room when he was a baby.  It's not exceptional quality, and the slightest nick reveals cheap particle board lurking under the espresso finish.  What can I expect for $100? Once it started showing it's age, I moved it to the playroom to succumb to even more abuse.

Now, I need a shelf for Baby Luca.  I have an obsession right now with lightening up every dark piece of furniture in my home. I knew I wanted to do a contrasting color for the back of the shelves and high-gloss white for the exterior.  I found this perfect shade of chartreuse for the back of the bookcase - Glidden's Olive Oil.  It looks a little more yellow in this picture, but in person it has a tinge of green.

The chartreuse color makes me smile.  It's so bright and sunny, and coordinates perfect with the new artwork.  I purchased this original mixed media print at the Goodwill auction for $15!



....Well hello Mr. Sock Monkey

Look at the amazing reflective qualities of this paint.  I used Glidden's Trim & Door paint in antique white.  It's a little tricky to get used to, as it is a gel-based product.  I highly recommend watching the tutorials, but I will definitely be using it again.  Another downfall is that it took for-evahhh to dry - it wasn't hardened to the touch for at least 24 hrs. Well worth the wait in my opinion.

I have a few more things in the works right now.  Luca's room is constantly changing as I am still figuring out what I really need, but I will post more pictures of his space in the near future.

Look at that face..... 


He will be 9 months in 2 days! (tear) I can't believe how fast time flies. 

Have a great Friday!

Linking to:
http://www.somewhatsimple.com/sys-blog-link-party-with-plum-paper/

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, could luca be any cuter!!!
    Love the bookshelf and thanks for the link to the mood board site, the one I used was a little bit hard to work with so I'm looking forward to checking this out!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I answered your questions, I'm so behind. Sorry~ I always use Latex primer so i don't have to sand, it bonds faster and it is better for heavy used items. Then I apply the water based paint over it. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Fantastic. I'm also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your effort.
    4 Bar Tubular Vehicle Barrier

    ReplyDelete