Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pottery Barn Knockoff - Desk Makeover

I am so excited about my latest makeover. This beauty was originally a custom piece from the hubby's furniture line, Kanto Home.  It was a custom order for this Pottery Barn knockoff .  Unfortunately, it arrived in the wrong color - it was supposed to be antique white, but ended up being a stark white finish.

I don't have the original before picture, unfortunately.  I started painting it, and completely forgot to snap them until midway through.

You can see from the PB website, it was a pretty simple piece, but I knew I could give it some high style with a little experimenting.  I have always loved the turned leg - it's so feminine and romantic.

I was anxious to test out my new Annie Sloan Chalk Paint colors - Aubusson Blue and Paris Gray.  I started painting the desk with the a watered down 50/50 mix of the two.  I decided that the blue was a little too strong for the look I wanted.


After my first coat dried, I went over the desk again with the Paris Gray, diluted with a little bit of water to create a wash.

Once the paint was dry, about 2-3 hrs later,  I waxed it with a coat of the AS clear wax and a cloth.  I waited about 12 hours until the wax had cured, then gently distressed just the edges and the legs with a fine sanding wedge revealing the white underneath.

I  had achieved the subtle blue I was going for, but I decided it could still use a little pizazz.

Enter my trusty paint can.  Is there anything that doesn't benefit from a hint of sparkle?! I did the unthinkable and went over the entire desk in Krylon's Brushed champagne spray paint.  After spraying the color, I immediately wiped the area with a soft cloth.  This technique gave me just a subtle sheen and eliminated any overspray.



Off to Anthropologie to find some killer drawer pulls.

I decided on these little lovlies.   Don't you just love the hardware at Anthropologie? It is my go-to place for really eccentric things.


I purchased four lucite drawer pulls, with a hint of gold, contrasted with coral drawer pulls for the center. The coral gives it a pop of color, and they have a hint of blue to tie everything together.



What do you think of the results?  It turned out just as I had envisioned! I will finish it off with a clear coat of poly for added durability.





I think it is sophisticated enough for an adult space, but could also be the perfect complement to a tween room.

How did I do?

Linking to:
Tuesday's Treasures - My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Wow Us Wednesdays - Savvy Southern Style

No comments:

Post a Comment